Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My Forever Friend

I'm not a very good friend. 

It's not that I'm a bad friend.  I don't sleep with a sistah's husband and I would never, ever let anyone talk smack about one of my friends.

It's just that I'm not a good friend.  A good friend who intended to write a birthday post about her friend would make sure that she actually wrote the post on or before her friend's birthday.

This post is two days late, and I haven't heard that my friend, Lisa, is dead, so I will go ahead and write my better-late-than-never post about her.

Lisa and I met at church when we were teenagers.  As I struggle to pull up memories from the cobwebs in my gray matter, I remember my first impression of Lisa as one of someone highly intelligent and articulate.  I can remember speaking with her about some misfortune in the world and saying, "I was soooo freaked out by that!"  Her response illustrates what I mean:  "Yes, when something like that happens, it certainly does make one acutely aware of one's blessings."

Acutely aware?!!!  WTH?!!!  I was soooo freaked out by that response!!!

Anyway, in addition to being super-smart, Lisa is also a devout Christian, of the Mormon variety.  And she is serious about it:  She doesn't just talk the talk; she walks the walk as well.  She truly would do anything for someone in need, and she rarely (unless she's really mad) says anything bad about anyone (and when she does, she feels guilty about it and repents after she calms down.)

Lisa is the type of woman who never, ever swears, and would never write in her blog anything like "...I don't sleep with a sistah's husband,"  or "WTH?!!!"  But she totally doesn't mind if others do it and she doesn't judge them because of it.  And she expects it from me.

(Lisa is laughing now.)

But here's the really cool thing about Lisa:  She loves me.

She thinks I am just the best, even when I so clearly am not.

(Lisa is crying now.)

Lisa doesn't just love me:  Lisa loves me the way I am.

(I am crying now.)

Whenever anything bad happens in my life, I know just e-mailing Lisa will make it better.  She has such insight to my soul that it just freaks me out!!!

(Lisa is laughing now.)

I could go on and on and on about the wonders of Lisa, but you get the point.  She is the real deal:  a genuine follower of Christ and the truest friend a girl could ever have.

So, Lisa, when you read this (and I know she will read this because she thinks I'm a fantastic writer and she checks my blogs regularly), know that you are one of the greatest blessings in my life and I LOVE YOU!!

And...oh yeah...happy birthday!





So, tell me, who is the Lisa in your life?

7 comments:

  1. I really NEED a Lisa in my life.

    Happy birthday, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you...Lucky Lisa! Having made long-distance moves a couple of times, my friendships are not quite as deep as yours but I do enjoy the girlfriend times with the ones who remain in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so lucky to have Lisa! What a darling woman she is. And I'm sure she forgives you for being 2 days late. I think you are lucky to have each other!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh MAN, i'd take that 2 days late any year! how sweet!!! she's a keeper.

    (my Lisa is named Christy.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think it was ever clear that you weren't the best to me...

    The rest I will tell you later. I love you too.

    And thank you,that was the nicest thing anyone's ever said about me.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am fortunate enough to have a few good Lisas in my life. Yes, I used Lisa as a synonym.. What? It's a word..

    Happy belated birthday to your wonderful friend, Lisa! You are both very blessed to have each other!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good friend indeed. And I don't think there are any rules about when you post something about a friend.

    ReplyDelete