Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Pig's Valve Or A Coat Of Paint

Okay, you all know I love "House".  Did you ever see the episode where a blogger was the patient and she needed a new heart valve?  She had to decide between an artificial valve and a pig's valve.  She shared everything in her life with her readers (Sound familiar?  Anti-depressants?  An affair?  A dead husband?), so she let her audience decide.  Well, now I need you guys to decide something far more serious for me.

You really have to tell me what to do with my wall:




That's not (only) dirt on my wall.

It's a growth chart of my children, their cousins, and half the neighborhood.  It's on the main wall in my kitchen and I can't decide what to do with it.  Why, you may ask, did I put a growth chart in pencil on a wall in my kitchen?  I DIDN'T!!!!  My sister, Amie, thought it was a good idea and started it years ago.  (I strongly suspect that she wouldn't have a growth chart on the wall of her OWN kitchen!)

So here's my dilemma:  I can't decide if it's precious or trashy.  I'm redoing my kitchen from top to bottom, including granite counter tops (because none of my friends would talk me out of granite--please talk me out of granite), so of course I'm painting.  So do I paint over the wall because it's trashy, or do I keep the wall the way it is because it's precious?  If I paint over it, will I regret it in 20 years?  Is there something else creative I can do with it?

Seriously, help me!  Tell me what to do!

_______________

So, listen to the douchebaggery (sorry, Mormons, but it's my new favorite word) that happened to me: Google Adsense disabled my account for invalid clicks!! Now what the heck am I supposed to do? My family relied on that 37 cents a month! I guess I'll have to go back to being an attorney and a nursing home administrator. Damn.
_______________

In other news, today I went to the divorce hearing of Danny's ex-girlfriend and her (now) ex-husband. 

I'm guessing that's an experience most people don't ever have.  I went because he and I have become very close throughout this ordeal and he asked me to go with him.  It's strange the closeness that you develop with people when you walk down the same road with them. 

In his words, there is "a permanence" to our relationship, and we have become BFF's.  Our friendship is a tremendous blessing in my life that came from something so awful.  You just never know where you're going to find your blessings!

But I'm pretty sure they're not coming from Google Adsense.
______________

Post Edit:  As I looked at the second picture above, I noticed that my blog is designed in the exact same colors as my house is decorated.  When I like something, I REALLY like it!

17 comments:

  1. Missy, paint the wall!!!! In 20 years you will have grandchildren, if not sooner! You will start making marks all over again...and again once you have great grand children..So for now, clean it up!!
    I think it's great the you have become friends with the other guy...
    God, works in strange ways. He puts people into our lives for a reason..just flow with that one as friends are blessings from God..
    About the financial change in your life...You will just have to live with it!!!Hals the nation has a money problem..I could send you that amount monthly If you really need it. Just let me know..Be blessed, don't stress, and I love you just becuz!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take a few nice pictures of the words on the wall, frame them, and hang them on the nice, newly painted wall.

    Tomorrow's granite counter tops and today's avacado applicances. Ponder that.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a sentimental bone in my body. Paint the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. really, y'all?! i totally vote for keeping the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honey, I know it's all the rage, but granite is stupid in the kitchen. I know everybody has to have it but I really don't understand it. I think it even gives off radio active stuff. Tiles are nice. Formica is fine.

    On the growth chart wall, my mom had one when I was a kid but we had it on the back of the ironing board that let out of the kitchen wall. What a great idea that was by the way! I think that wall is precious and sacred and I would not paint it, but that's me.

    I had an ex-husband that I was very close to. I was also close to his wife. When he got sick with a brain tumor I'd go see him in the hospital and bring him weed. We would smoke a joint together and talk about old times. He and I had two children and neither of us regretted where the road had taken us. But when he died, a piece of my heart did too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just when I thought I might pick up Google Adsense. Yet another reason to ignore them. Oh well.

    The wall.... Ok, don't laugh, but I think you should remove and replace that section of drywall. It's a pain, but not really that difficult. Stick the pretty pencil markings in the garage, and next time someone takes a pencil to your wall, nail a board to it and insist all pencil marks go on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd think about maybe tracing the growth chart with paint pencils to give it color then putting a frame around it or something. It would be hard ot get rid of for me. Or trace it onto a piece of butcher paper and save it for a keepsake. This way you paint your kitchen and keep the growth chart.

    Sorry about Adsense- I hate it that you may miss out on mac and cheese one night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Alice BUT do something with it. Remove that section & frame it or something. But I am a sentimental freak & one day my husband is going to kill me for saving EVERY SINGLE piece of art work my daughter has ever done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Transfer the marks onto a 1x2 or some small piece of trim wood. You can even paint the wood a pretty color to better match. (Someone once had a board for each child, each board painted a different color.) You can nail the boards up where ever you would like; your grandkids can then get the distinct pleasure of saying, "I'm taller than my mom was when she was my age!" Ever so much fun. And way easier than removing drywall.

    Then paint the blasted thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. by thing I mean wall. Just in case that wasn't clear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would get a strip of paper as long as the highest mark, and line it up against the marks, transferring them all over with the dates. You could keep it, or the transfer it to a garage wall or some other inconspicuous place. THEN I'd re-paint the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got an idea. Choose some plexi-glass in a color that complements the color you put on the rest of the walls and install the plexi-glass over this wall. Then use it for post-its and crap.

    You can always rip it out and install new drywall, too --- if you're really that sentimental...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd give a clear coat with some art fixative to protect it, surround with photos of the kids, and treasure it until you get sick of it. Then, and only then, you can paint it over.

    But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Starting that growth chart was one of my best ideas ever! But I do understand where you're coming from. Secret Agent Woman's got it. I vote for her remedy. And, BTW, I most ceratinly would have a growth chart on my kitchen wall. Your kids are my life! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love our granite countertops, we put them in a few years ago, the best cleaner I have found is Method daily granite wipes and spray, they don't streak. As for the wall, I would paint above and below where the marks are, and hang a cool frame over the marks. Or cut that part out and replace it with new drywall and frame the piece that you cut out and hang it someplace else.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ps, there's not enough radiation to care about, and it's only certain types that have it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would take some good photos of the wall so you have a memento of those times, then paint it a color you really like.

    ReplyDelete