Saturday, February 26, 2011

Despicable Me

I'm one of those people that other people like. It's just the way I am, and I'm used to it.

I think people like me because I like them. I truly enjoy seeing pictures of people's grandchildren and hearing about their vacations. I laugh at people's jokes because I really think the jokes are funny, and I always take the time to let people know if they've done a great job at something or if there is something outstanding about their character. Honestly, when I go to bed at night, I think back over my day and make sure that I've treated everyone well. If I haven't, I ALWAYS apologize for what I've done.

Sure, I've made a few enemies in forty-two years, like when someone has an affair with my husband or when I'm forced to take a moral stand against someone or something. (Even when Danny's girlfriend came to my house for some inexplicable reason, I hugged her because my heart broke for her. She was clearly in pain because she had been dumped by a man that she loved and I wanted her to feel better. I know: I'm an idiot, but that's just the way I roll.)

But those situations are definitely the exception to the rule that people just like me.

So, imagine my surprise when I found out that the entire staff at my new job hates me. Actually, I'm exaggerating. The entire staff doesn't hate me; it's only about 98% of the staff that hates me. ME!

The other day I went into one of the nurses' stations at work and happened to look up at the cork board with the memos on it. Held onto the cork board with a pushpin was a memo about me from corporate. It said, "Please welcome Melissa..." It felt really good to read it--for about a millisecond. Then I noticed that someone had written above it in big letters, "NO!"

NO! Seriously? They weren't going to welcome me?

Just because I tell them to get back to work, write them up for poor job performance, and fire them?

Sometimes being the boss really BLOWS!

3 comments:

  1. Dang Girl! I HATE IT when that happens! But you know what, sometimes it really does suck being a boss. Between you and me, it sucks even more reporting to one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,

    I know what you mean! I've been there and done that too!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always get freaked out when people hate me. I'm one of the nicest people I know. ha.

    ReplyDelete