Saturday, December 18, 2010

On Sisters

The day I was born, I already had one of the greatest blessings I would ever have: my sister, Debbie.

Debbie is 15 years older than I and was entering her sophomore year of high school when I came into the world. She said she was so embarrassed when I was born because everyone at school would know Mom had sex.

Debbie is feisty and will complain over everything (although she says she's the only one in our family without an attitude), but she doesn't mean a thing by it. She will give you the shirt off her back and her last dime if you need it. Heck, you don't even have to need it; if you just want her shirt and her dime, they're yours.

I hated Debbie. I was jealous of her because I was never "a child" and she was the adult I wanted to be. She claims that when she went to the hospital to see me after I was born, I looked up at her and said, "I hate you." (I find that story a little suspicious.)

But Debbie loved me. She bathed me (and told me I was going down the drain with the water), fed me, and even took me on her dates with her. I developed my love for astronomy because Debbie taught me all about the planets and the solar system when I was three years old.

I literally could not get through my life right now without Debbie. She babysits for me every Thursday and any other time I need her. She helps me with my mother and deals with all of her Alzheimer's-induced antics way better than I do.

I love Debbie.

When I was 12 months and 2 weeks old, I got another one of the greatest blessings I would ever have when my sister, Amie, came into the world. (Debbie nearly died when Amie was born because then everyone would know Mom had sex TWICE!!!!)

Amie is hysterically funny and is also feisty. She will not hesitate for one second to tell you what's on her mind, regardless of whether or not you want to hear it. Amie has told me numerous times, "Okay, I have something to tell you about your face." She will then proceed to let me know where I need Juvederm or Botox. Amie believes that as long as she says, "I'm just saying," at the end of a statement, it is not offensive.

Amie also believes she is the only one of us without an attitude, but lately she has begun to admit that she can get "a little ghetto."

With one exception, the only physical fights I've ever had in my life were with Amie. She still carries a scar under her eye from when I was two years old and ripped the lid off the potty seat and hit her with it. A few years later, she threw me over her shoulder and caused my grandmother to shriek in horror, "Now look what you've done! You've killed her!"

More recently, I may or may not have beaten Amie with a curling iron, and she may or may not have knocked me over two chairs at a funeral home.

Amie and I have our spats, but they don't last. We are always there for each other. We could not have survived our insane childhood without each other, and we credit the other for the fact that we are each reasonably sane today. "Wonder Twin powers: Activate!"

I love Amie.

I don't know how I would live without either one of my precious sisters. They both are integral parts of my soul.

(And sisters, before you count, allow me to assure you that I have devoted an equal number of paragraphs to each of you.)

15 comments:

  1. My sister is a rock star. She loved me and took care of me since I was two even though neither one of her parents spawned me. She had my back and loves me to this day, 37 years later. My story is not so colorful compared to yours and my God, I love your tribute to the sista'hood!!!!

    But girl, do not include me in your giveaway, I just wanted to represent a great sister too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea said...

    If I win, I will not spend my Target gift card on my sisters, or brothers for that matter. I do love them (well at least three if them), but I can be selfish and will use it on me!

    You are a wonderful writer, Missie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "I'm just saying" part? Hilarious.

    Yeah. I got a sister. She does rock, even if I could strangle her every other week. Maybe I should just tell her to tone it down by adding "I'm just saying" at the end of every offensive ramble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 3 sisters and a brother. My sisters all have attitudes and think they don't. They all have their pros and cons and i just got back from a fantastic sister's weekend with 2 of them. My brother is physically and mentally handicapped- he still holds his own.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog, now hand over the Target card! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you found my blog - I'm liking yours.

    I only have a brother and I would gladly sell him for a pack of gum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joanna,

    You literally sent my morning Diet Pepsi spewing out my nose!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have three sisters and love them all. As our parents are getting older we have all promised to stay close, no matter what. Not always an easy thing to do with four very different personalities. We have our moments if you know what I mean LOL! But we've learned what's important and more importantly whats not. Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I AM BIG SISTER DEBBIE. I WANT TO SAY THAT MY SISTER,MISSY, IS MAGICAL. ALL THE WONDERFUL THINGS THAT HAS HAPPENED IN THE WORLD IS BECAUSE OF HER. ALL THE INVENTIONS THAT OCCURED BEFORE SHE WAS BORN, HAPPENED BECAUSE OF HER. WHEN SHE WAS BORN AND LOOKED AT ME AND SAID SHE HATED ME. TRUE STORY BY THE WAY. WHATS IMPORTANT IS I ALWAYS LOVED HER. SHE IS MAJESTIC. DEB.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, big sister, Debbie! Thank you for thinking I am majestic. I know sometimes I act like I think that about myself, but I really don't. It feels good to know that my big sister does.

    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have one little brother and I still remember bashing him over the head with a snow shovel so he had to get stitches but he got me back when he got bigger than me. Now as adults I think he's an amazing guy and someone I can count on 150%. He's super duper smart and he's a great husband and uncle to my two little ones. I love seeing him get down to play legos with my 3 yr old son. I'm not sure if he'd use the word magical like your sister did for you but I think he likes me too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You already know my brother and sister both and I think they're pretty perfect! They make me laugh and sometimes that make me crazy. And I am 100% sure that they could describe me in exactly the same way.

    Also, we both know I can't link back to your blog but I will write something about it. Of course, no one actually reads my blog so I don't know that this will do anything for you but...

    Which brings me to...do you know how happy I am that you are writing again?

    The answer is...VERY.

    ReplyDelete
  12. P.S.

    I vote Joanna gets the gift card...

    I wasn't drinking Diet Pepsi but if I had been I would have spewed too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa suggested I come over…my sister drove me crazy telling everyone "I'm one year and EIGHT DAYS" older than my brother.

    Now that we're older, people ask our ages. My sister says, "I'm a year older." To which I promptly add, "and eight days."

    Payback is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. About My Brother

    I have two sisters that I love with all my heart, who are both very special to me. However, it is my brother, Vince, that I would like to comment about. He has been my brother, my father, and my best friend for my entire life. Because my father was a deadbeat who didn't pay child support, Vince became my father, showing guidance, direction, support, and love.
    As a kid, Vince pitched pennies on the sidewalks of Chicago just to have money to buy us french fries at 15 cents a bag. He shined shoes to make sure he could help my mother buy us shoes to wear. Vince quit high school to get a job to pay for my tuition for Catholic high school.
    When my home caught fire in 1997, Vince, who lives nearly an hour and a half away, showed up to comfort and offer me support, arriving just as the home was really up in flames. He made sure I got another home, while never expecting anything from me in return.
    My brother has given me love and support beyond any expectations.
    Our mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer just two years ago. Mother has since then gone to be with the Lord, but while she was still with us, Vince helped me to take care of all of our mother's personal needs, including her personal hygiene. I watched him in amazement
    Most recently I died as a result of a spleenic rupture. As I laid in the Critical Care Unit, unable to talk or move, I could feel the hands of the only father I ever knew rubbing my hand saying 'I love you. You're my best friend. You can't leave me now.' I could hear the quivering in his voice as he sobbed at my bedside.
    I know that my will to live came from God, but my brother's pain had to be releived. I thank God and my brother that I was able to pull through for them both.
    My brother, father, and friend never allowed me to want for anything. He is my God-sent angel, and I love him more than life itself.
    Vince's love for me has no beginning and no end. He is just all love, in the truest sense of the word.
    Mr. V., you are my hero!

    By:
    Bert J.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a little brother and sister who were born when I was 9 and 11, respectively. I actually remember thinking I was 'too young' to have younger siblings because of all the books I'd read in which the main character only had a sibling as an adolescent--I was too dense to realize that siblings are usually much closer in age!

    eemoody77 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete