Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Can I Get a Drum Roll, Please....

Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to tell the world about their precious siblings. I also thank everyone, like Joanna and Andrea, who added humor (because you know I love humor) to the contest.

I loved all the posts. Some made me smile and some made me teary-eyed (and Joanna's made me spew Diet Pepsi out of my nose). But there was one post that really touched me and a lot of other people, apparently, because I actually got phone calls and emails about it. So without further ado, the winner of the $50 gift card to Target is...

Bert J.!

Congratulations, Bert J.! Please send me your address via email at glasseyedgradysatyahoo.com and your gift card will be on its way. Happy Targeting!

You can read Bert J.'s touching story about her brother, Vince, below.

About My Brother

I have two sisters that I love with all my heart, who are both very special to me. However, it is my brother, Vince, that I would like to comment about. He has been my brother, my father, and my best friend for my entire life. Because my father was a deadbeat who didn't pay child support, Vince became my father, showing guidance, direction, support, and love.
As a kid, Vince pitched pennies on the sidewalks of Chicago just to have money to buy us french fries at 15 cents a bag. He shined shoes to make sure he could help my mother buy us shoes to wear. Vince quit high school to get a job to pay for my tuition for Catholic high school.
When my home caught fire in 1997, Vince, who lives nearly an hour and a half away, showed up to comfort and offer me support, arriving just as the home was really up in flames. He made sure I got another home, while never expecting anything from me in return.
My brother has given me love and support beyond any expectations.
Our mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer just two years ago. Mother has since then gone to be with the Lord, but while she was still with us, Vince helped me to take care of all of our mother's personal needs, including her personal hygiene. I watched him in amazement
Most recently I died as a result of a spleenic rupture. As I laid in the Critical Care Unit, unable to talk or move, I could feel the hands of the only father I ever knew rubbing my hand saying 'I love you. You're my best friend. You can't leave me now.' I could hear the quivering in his voice as he sobbed at my bedside.
I know that my will to live came from God, but my brother's pain had to be releived. I thank God and my brother that I was able to pull through for them both.
My brother, father, and friend never allowed me to want for anything. He is my God-sent angel, and I love him more than life itself.
Vince's love for me has no beginning and no end. He is just all love, in the truest sense of the word.
Mr. V., you are my hero!

By:
Bert J.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad it was him! I was hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry - for your nose. But you made my day. I have a sickness for making people laugh until they spew liquids. I'm told I need therapy. :)

    Congrats to Bert J!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bert is so lucky to have such a great family member. As for me, I was never that lucky in life to have just one family member to ever be there for me. I have no whole brothers or sisters, they are all half, meaning some I share the same Mom with and the others I share the same father with. Maybe thats why I have never been gifted with just that one special person in my family to be by my side thru good and bad. Evidentally they need to be a whole, and like I said they are all halves.

    ReplyDelete