Sunday, December 19, 2010

Alzheimer's is Fun, Volume 3

Back-scratching is a talent. Some people just know how to do it and some people don't. I am a firm believer that back-scratching should be a licensed career, like massotherapy. I think there should be places that you can go, pay $40 an hour and get your back scratched. But it has to be legitimate; no Suzi Kim's. Ewwwwwwwwww.

Fortunately, I could keep my 40 bucks because my mother is the best back-scratcher in the entire world. She doesn't know where she is half the time, but she could have any back-scratching license. Her nails are perfect. They're not so thick that you can't feel any "zing" when she scratches, and they're not so thin that they feel like razor blades. Plus her technique is great. She applies the perfect amount of pressure and she gets all the corners. Ya know what I mean?

She has always made me feel better by scratching my back, and it was always our bonding time.

So, yesterday I had a bit of a cold and was lying on my bed. She came to my room and when I told her I wasn't feeling well, she began scratching my back. She was getting all the corners, and it was perfect. We were talking about life, both hers in Alzheimer's dementia, and mine, in a different kind of dementia yet to be determined.

"You have the best skin," she said to me. I got a big smile on my face.

She told me that I was beautiful and that "every single feature" of mine is perfect.

We were bonding again. I was feeling pretty good about myself and, I swear to you, my cold went away. It was so nice and I felt so close to her.

Yeah. That didn't last very long.

The very next words out of her mouth were, "Now, how do I know you?"

And I had the audacity to feel special!

_________________________________________________

Don't forget to share about your sister or brother in the comments section of the post below to win a $50 gift card to Target!!!

4 comments:

  1. My mom used to tell me that, how nice my skin and hands were and how pretty I was. (she died 3 years ago)
    It has to be heartbreaking when she asks who you are but it is the disease talking, not her.
    You made it funny though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It helps so much to find the humor in it, huh?

    So nice to hear from you!
    Merry Christmas to you and yours,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. out of the mouth of babes. much love to you mommy. debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! My sweet mother was the same way! She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at 50 yrs old and passed at 60 yrs old.

    I love the way you weave in the humor. It worked for me too! It was the only way I was able to bear the times when she was lost and couldn't find her way out of her mind!

    (((HUGS))))

    ReplyDelete