Thursday, December 25, 2008

You Snooze, You Lose

This blog has nothing to do with eye prostheses, or with people named Grady, except for my cousin Grady, who did have a glass eye and is the inspiration for the title of this blog.

You see, Grady's cooking was legendary in the hills of northeastern Alabama. He could fry a pie like nobody's business and he made the best buttermilk biscuits a beer can ever cut. Eventually, he decided to open a restaurant. He couldn't come up with a good name for the restaurant, so he solicited suggestions.

I excitedly offered, "Glass-Eyed Grady's! Isn't that cool?" I knew in my twelve year-old heart that it should be the name of my cousin's restaurant. It was so clever and it just felt right! It was pure genius and I was so proud of myself!

"Glass-Eyed Grady's? That's a stupid name!" was the response I got from everyone who heard it.

He picked "Jennie Lou's", after his girlfriend.

"Jennie Lou's"? Are you kidding me? Talk about a stupid name! Why would anyone choose "Jennie Lou's" over "Glass-Eyed Grady's"? I couldn't understand it then, and I can't understand it now. What about the originality of my name? Or the alliteration? And don't forget the imagery! Sadly, the brilliance of "Glass-Eyed Grady's" was lost on them.

As it has been lost on so many since then.

"I'm starting a business. What should I name it?"

Me: "How 'bout 'Glass-Eyed Grady's' ? That 's such a cool name!"

"We have to come up with a name for the office newsletter."

Me: "We should name it 'Glass-Eyed Grady's'. I love that name!"

"I wrote this paper for my class, but I can't come up with a title for it."

Me: "I know! 'Glass-Eyed Grady's' is perfect!"

No, no, and no.

Well, the heck with all of you! I finally have something to name, and you all lost out on the best name ever.

Ha!

4 comments:

  1. I totally LOVE the title. Now let's get some photos up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously Grady was blind sided by "Jenny Lou's" fried pie and has lost out on a terrific monicker!

    I'm "stumped!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon & Floyd WilliamsDecember 28, 2008 at 10:53 PM

    Absolutely the BEST blog I've ever enjoyed!! You had Floyd and I rolling and wiping away the tears!! Great name too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the name too altho I'm a little late to be saying it. :)

    ReplyDelete