Friday, December 26, 2008

Alzheimer's is Fun

The PRESENCE awoke me from a dead sleep.

I heard a startled "Ahhhhh!" come from deep within me as my eyes flew open to see the eyes of what could only be a serial killer two centimeters from my face.

"Hey!" the serial killer huffed. "I want some supper! Everyone else had supper but I didn't get any!"

My heart returned to my chest cavity from its temporary lodging in my throat, and I emerged from my REM sleep enough to process the situation.

"Mom," I croaked as I looked at the clock, "It's only 5:30."

"I know it, and I want my supper!" The serial killer had a serious attitude.

"No, Mom, it's 5:30 IN THE MORNING."

"Oh, it's 5:30 in the morning? Well, go back to sleep then."

Yeah. That'll really happen.

3 comments:

  1. Should I ever become lost in the corridors of my mind,I pray for a guiding Angel as you.

    Love, grampa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! very entertaining. I worked at an assisted living place with Alzheimer's patients while in College in Provo and I LOVED it. I had so many favorites and I can totally picture everything you mention here that your mom has done. I'm sure you know but you're an amazing daughter to care for your mom.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It feels terrible to laugh at these things, but they are funny. My grandma had Alzheimer's. I remember her stripping nearly naked and wandering into the dining room one evening, happy as a clam, while my grandpa and I watched the news. It was heartbreaking and hilarious all at once. Then there was the time she spent all day freaking out about the men across the road spying on us. They were the neighbor's trash cans.

    ReplyDelete